Here I am, once again, in glorious Port Elgin, feeling very spoiled by the unspoiled beauty, the perfect weather, the mesmerizing thrum and roll of the lake, and the fact that I am away from home and from my to do list.
Last time we were here, I was inspired to make cookie bars, and they were so great that we have been making them non-stop since.
This time, I thought it would be fun to make a savoury dinner version of these gluten-free, vegan, high-protein treats.
I don't know what it is they taste like, except for more. :)
1/2 cup flax meal
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp thyme
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1 cup finely chopped grape tomatoes
3 cups almond meal
1 cup pumpkin seeds
preheat oven to 345
1. combine the flax meal and chia seeds with the boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes
2. add the sea salt, thyme, cumin, and pepper (or whatever seasonings rock your boat)
3. stir in the coconut oil, hemp seeds, a 1 cup of very finely chopped grape tomatoes
4. mix in the almond meal
5. stir in the pumpkin seeds
6. press the mixture into a rectangular glass dish lined with parchment. I use a 2nd sheet of parchment to press it in. Makes things much easier.
7. bake at 345 for 45 or 50 minutes