Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Friday 15 July 2011

Savoury Cottage Cookie Bars






Here I am, once again, in glorious Port Elgin, feeling very spoiled by the unspoiled beauty, the perfect weather, the mesmerizing thrum and roll of the lake, and the fact that I am away from home and from my to do list.

Last time we were here, I was inspired to make cookie bars, and they were so great that we have been making them non-stop since.

This time, I thought it would be fun to make a savoury dinner version of these gluten-free, vegan, high-protein treats. 

I don't know what it is they taste like, except for more. :)


ingredients:

1/2 cup flax meal
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup boiling water

1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp sea salt
black pepper
1 tsp thyme

1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1 cup finely chopped grape tomatoes

3 cups almond meal

1 cup pumpkin seeds


directions:

preheat oven to 345

1. combine the flax meal and chia seeds with the boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes
2. add the sea salt, thyme, cumin, and pepper (or whatever seasonings rock your boat)
3. stir in the coconut oil, hemp seeds, a 1 cup of very finely chopped grape tomatoes
4. mix in the almond meal
5. stir in the pumpkin seeds
6. press the mixture into a rectangular glass dish lined with parchment. I use a 2nd sheet of parchment to press it in. Makes things much easier.
7. bake at 345 for 45 or 50 minutes

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

what is evco?

stacey said...

Thanks, Rebecca! I meant to change that before I posted :). It's extra virgin coconut oil.