Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Friday 19 August 2011

Toasted Seed Cookies


Seeds, bless their seedy little hearts, get a lot of flavour boost from gentle toasting. All you raw foodists out there may be scandalized by my flagrant use of toasting, but then again I'm sure you're not lurking around my blog since my only raw recipes are salads and the highly addictive chocolate power bars, but that's another matter.

Now, all you coconut haters must know there is very little coconutty about these cookies despite their toasted coconut content. The flavour is ... well, reminiscent of Dad's Oatmeal cookies. I was a kid in the seventies and I still remember trying to eat one in the wading pool in our backyard only to find they melted when they got wet ...

Anyway, here are some fabulous seed cookies that are 100% nut free. They are also gluten free, dairy free, and cane sugar free. They are sweetened with coconut sugar, which is nice and low on the glycemic index. I like 'em! They are an excellent cookie to go with tea.

Now, these cookies require 2 steps really. Because you have to toast the seeds then grind 'em up. You have to, or else the cookies will taste like raw seeds instead of toasted seeds, and won't be half as yummy. Trust me!


ingredients:

1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup shredded coconut

2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup cooconut sugar
2 eggs

1/4 cup flax meal
1/4 cup hemp seeds

1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground vanilla
1 tbsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp baking soda


directions:

1. toast the sunflower and pumpkin seeds for 30 minutes at 300 C.
2. toast the shredded coconut for 15 or 20 minutes at 300 C.
3. grind up the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and coconut in a food processor or fancy blender. Mortar and pestle?
4. preheat the oven to 345
5. combine the coconut oil (melted), coconut sugar, and eggs
6. mix in the sea salt, vanilla, and cinnamon
7. add the flax meal and hemp seeds
8. add the baking soda
9. mix in the toasted seeds and toasted coconut
10. put spoonfuls on a lined baking sheet, and flatten with a wet fork
11. bake for 16 minutes

Makes 2 dozen or so depending on size. Store in an airtight container.





No comments: