Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Sunday 11 September 2011

Plum Pie with Vanilla Custard -- holy hannah that's good




The other day my son and I came across a basket of Ontario plums -- the dusky blue kind that start out green and go all soft and orange on the inside -- and we decided to make plum pie. We have a book we like to read called 'Each Peach Pear Plum' that ends with everyone eating plum pie -- even the bunnies, even baby bunting, even the wicked witch.

I thought about it for a while, and I decided exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted a sweet, cookie type crust to remind me of the crust of the plum tart my mother used to make when I was a kid. And I knew the plums would be kinda sour, so I wanted to play with that by topping it with a sweet and delicious vanilla custard that would celebrate both the flavour of the plums and their sourness. So, we got the cookie, we got the sour plumminess, bits of chewiness where the edges of the plums got all baked and delicious, we got the creamy, rich vanilla sweetness of the custard, all balancing together into one fabulous dessert where the sum is definitely more than the components. 

It was also easy to make, so don't be shy.




crust:

ingredients:

2 cups blanched almond meal
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup coconut sugar
3 tsp cinnamon (I used 1 tsp each of korintje, saigon, and ceylon)
1 tsp ground vanilla bean
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar


directions:

preheat oven to 345

1. prepare a pie plate or springform pan (I like to line my springform pan with parchment and grease it well with coconut oil)
2. combine all ingredients in a bowl except for the coconut oil and vinegar
3. mix well
4. add the coconut oil, and cut it in as it were. I used a fork and sort of mashed it. It worked beautifully.
5. finally, add the apple cider vinegar, and mix very well
6. press the crumbly mixture VERY FIRMLY into the bottom of the pie plate or springform pan. VERY firmly.
7. bake for 20 minutes at 345


pie:

ingredients:

1 baked pie crust from above
1.5 L of blue plums (what, damsons are they?), washed, pitted, and diced or coarsely chopped -- yield 4 or 5 cups
pinch sea salt
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp arrowroot powder


directions:

preheat oven to 345 if it's not still on from baking the crust

1. toss the chopped plums with the sea salt, coconut sugar, and arrowroot powder
2. put the plum mixture on the pie crust evenly, and return it to the oven
3. bake for 40 minutes at 345


custard:

ingredients:

2 cups milk (I use raw whole milk. I recommend at least using organic whole milk (not skim))
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp ground vanilla bean
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp arrowroot powder


directions:

1. combine the ingredients in a double boiler
2. stir while cooking until thickened
3. remove from heat and set aside to serve over slices of pie








No comments: