Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Thursday 20 December 2012

Cookie bars for school






This rich and dense mixture of ground seeds, shredded coconut, raisins, and chocolate chip makes a satisfying and delectable treat. Gluten free, sugar free (except for the callebaut chocolate), nut free, grain free, and vegan, it's a pretty good choice for all those on your list. Best of all, I doubled and recipe and baked it on a parchment lined full-sized cookie sheet (the kind with edges), so I made a lot at once. Woot. Actually, that's not the best part. The best part is that they are super yummy.



ingredients:

1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup flax meal
1/4 cup agave
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil

2 eggs or 1/2 cup water and 2 tsp egg replacer mixed together

1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla extract


1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ceylon cinnamon
1 tsp saigon cinnamon
1 tbsp ground vanilla
black pepper

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
1 cup shredded coconut 
1 cup pumpkin seeds, ground to a powder
1 cup sunflower seeds, ground to a powder
1/2 cup sesame seeds, ground to a powder

1 cup raisins
1 cup chocolate morsels, bittersweet



directions:

preheat the oven to 345

1. combine the flax meal and boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes
2. add the coconut oil, coconut sugar, and apple cider vinegar
3. add the cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt, and black pepper
4. add in the hemp seeds
5. add the almond flour
6. add the raisins, chocolate, and walnuts
7. press into a rectangular baking dish lined with parchment
8. bake at 345 for 50 minutes
9. cut into bars
10. store in an airtight container when cool

No comments: