Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Thursday 28 February 2013

More Fruity Superfood Energy Bars -- raw, vegan, powerful!



ingredients:

1/2 cup raw sunflower  seeds
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup organic sesame seeds

10 drops lemon essential oil
10 drops orange essential oil

1/4 cup flax meal
1/4 cup wheat grass
1 tbsp maca powder
1 tbsp acai powder
1/4 cup hemp hearts

1 tbsp ground vanilla bean
3/4 tsp sea salt

1 cup pitted honey dates
1 cup goji berries
1 cup golden berries


1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut butter


directions:

1. in a food processor, combine the raw almonds, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, sesame seeds, flax meal, wheat grass, vanilla bean, ceylon cinnamon and sea salt
2. turn on and process until it resembles sand
3. add the dates, goji berries, and golden berries and pulse and then process until ground up. If it's too tough for your food processor to do in 1 go, divide the whole thing into 2 parts, and pulse them one at a time.
4. put the whole lot in a large bowl
5. melt the coconut oil and coconut butter, and pour over the processed fruit and seeds, then stir to combine thoroughly
6. divide between 2 square silicone pans, score into pieces, and  chill
7. when fully chilled, break along the score lines, and store in airtight containers in the fridge.

No comments: