Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Friday 20 December 2013

Vegan Brownies

Well, here I am trying to crack the vegan, gluten free, sugar free brownie code.  I have a lot of weird parameters I want to adhere to that I won't go into there. Maybe neurotic. Anyway, it's my challenge. It's like the rosetta stone, but for cake.  I don't want to use xanthan gum or guar gum, so here I am chia-ing with anticipation, and excited to see how they will turn out.




Result -- rich, dense, brownie taste and texture. For those with mucho sweet tooth, make 'em sweeter! "Not sweet enough" sayeth dear husband, which didn't stop him from eating two ... and then another two ... obviously they are terrible.


ingredients:

1 cup pitted honey dates
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil 

1/4 cup clear agave
1/2 cup coconut sugar


2 tsp egg replacer + 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chia seeds, finely ground

1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

2 tbsp ground vanilla 
2 tbsp vanilla extract 

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 cup raw cacao powder


1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup finely ground hemp hearts
1/2 cup finely ground sunflower seeds
1/4 cup coconut flour


directions:

preheat the oven to 345

1. pour the hot water over prunes and dates in a bowl, and let sit for about 10 minutes to soften, along with the coconut oil, so it can  melt
2. add the agave, coconut sugar, and coconut oil and puree everything with a stick blender
3. add in the apple cider vinegar, the ground chia seeds, the ground flax, and the egg replacer and water and combine
4. add in the vanilla, cinnamon, and sea salt, and mix well
5. add in the raw cacao and mix well
6. add in the stevia
7. add the baking soda and mix well
8. add the ground hemp seeds
9. add the ground sunflower seeds, and stir well
10. divide the mixture into 2 square silicone baking pans
11. sprinkle the top with a little coconut sugar, xylitol, or erythritol (I used erythritol this time around)
12. bake at 345 for 45 minutes
13. allow to cool in the pan before removing

No comments: