Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Sunday 11 May 2014

If Energy Had Balls ... Pecan and date get cozy with some cacao ...

I don't really mean to make off-colour allusions to spherical anatomical areas. Really, these are kind of a riff on our easter eggs. However the chewy fudgey goodness is out of this world, and deserves representation whether it's easter or not.

Pecan and date together do something just a little magical or even perhaps alchemical. Not gold, but certainly more than the sum of its parts.

We left these unwrapped, but for easy snacks on the go, you could do them up in small squares of foil just like the easter eggs.

Simply put, these are a pretty intensely delectable energy-rich snack.

Vegans, go get 'em!







ingredients:

1/2 cup hemp hearts
1 cup raw pecans pieces or halves
1 cup shredded coconut

1 cup raw cacao
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp stevia powder
2  tbsp ground vanilla
1 tsp ceylon cinnamon

1 1/2 cups pitted soft dates

1 or 2 tbsp vanilla extract or water

directions:

1. combine the hemp hearts, pecans, coconut, raw cacao, sea salt, stevia powder, and ground vanilla in a food processor, and process until as homogeneous as possible
2. add the honey dates and the vanilla and pulse and then process until it starts to form a 'dough'. Don't stop processing until this happens!! If you need to add more water for this to happen, add it just a bit at a time.
3. roll the dough into small balls
4. how many you get will depend on the size. I got about 40.

No comments: