My husband is a crunchy peanut butter bite addict.
It's not the peanut butter that is crunchy, it's the bites that are. And the secret, dear friends, is raw buckwheat groats. Have you ever seen one? They are the cutest little things. These tiny, triangular seed, from a type of grass. Grass! Not wheat. Anyway, buckwheat groats can be eaten raw, and are irresistible in these little bites.
The hardest part of this recipe is stirring at the end because it gets a little stiff. Second hardest is waiting until they chill and firm up.
For the peanut butter lovers in your life!!
silicone pans or glass pans lined with parchment
parchment to flatten down the mixture into the pan
spatula or other thin, blunt edge to cut into bites
1/2 cup coconut nectar
1 cup organic smooth peanut butter (I favour the one from bulk barn, which is lightly salted)
1 cup of shredded coconut
1/2 cup of hemp hearts
1/2 cup of raw buckwheat groats
(a pinch or two of sea salt if your peanut butter is unsalted)
1. stir together the coconut nectar and peanut butter in a mixing bowl. mix in the salt now if you are adding some.
2. stir in the shredded coconut
3. stir in the hemp hearts
4. stir in the buckwheat groats.
5. if you are using a square silicone pan, put the mixture in and press down. I find a piece of parchment helpful for this part.
6. if you are using a glass pan, line it with parchment before you put the mixture in. Press down!
7. using a blunt edged spatula, cut the pressed mixture before chilling
8. put in the freezer to chill
9. Remove the bites from the pan and store in an airtight container.