We chug along in our diurnal way, nothing much ever changing. Until one day, I realize a lot has changed, but it was so sneaky and subtle that I barely even noticed.
One of the things that has changed is our bread recipe.
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp bread yeast
1/2 cup spelt flakes
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup flax meal
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups red fyfe flour
1 1/2 - 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1. combine the honey and water, and add the yeast. Make sure the water is not hot -- just warm, like a bath -- or it will kill the yeast
2. combine the other ingredients, except for the last cup of whole wheat pastry flour
3. add the proofed yeast mixture to the flour mixture, and combine to form a dough that is neither dry nor wet, neither hard nor sticky. Add the last cup of whole wheat pastry flour gradually as you knead it until a dough of the correct texture is formed. I would describe the correct texture of dough as sort of firm, with a slightly clammy or sweaty feel to it. Sorry to be gross. It shouldn't really stick to you. I use a mixer with a hook attachment, but dough is a lot of fun to knead by hand. If you choose to knead it by hand and you've never done it, I suggest looking up online proper kneading technique.
5. If you are kneading by hand, step 4 will take a very long time. If you are kneading by mixer, 15 minutes should do it.
6. shape into a loaf on a lined baking sheet
7. rise for at least 90 minutes, but hopefully not longer than 2 hours
8. bake at 345 for 30 minutes
9. cool on a wire rack
10. store in an airtight wrap in the fridge