Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Saturday 11 October 2014

Vegetable Soup

A light vegetable soup. Hearty enough to be comforting, but basically a light soup. Serviceable soup. Savoury and tasty, made with pedestrian ingredients. A last minute soup when I realized I had nothing for dinner. The indian split peas cook up lickety-split. Thank goodness for split peas and their fast cooking. I seem to have an addiction to cumin ... I most often use the crockpot, but here is a regular soup on the stove top. Yes, a last minute soup. Yummy!





ingredients:

2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup diced onion

4 cups green cabbage, finely chopped
2  cup yellow indian split peas very well rinsed (dry, not cooked or canned) (toop dahl kori)
2 cups celery hearts

2 cups diced carrot

3 tsp sea salt (4 tsp)
2 tbsp marjoram
1 tbsp cumin

10 cups water


directions:

1. I like to start a cooking pot soup by sautéing some onion in coconut oil with a little sea salt. Give it that wonderful creamy sweet cooked onion base note.
2. The cabbage received a similar sauté treatment, letting it become all wonderfully translucent and delectable.
3. Then I added the rest of the ingredients, gave it a good stir and simmered for about 45 minutes.
4. At this point, the split peas were completely soft, so I judged the soup done and ready.
5. of course, soups like this taste even better the next day.

Next time I'll add the cumin when I add the onions, and give it a bit of a sauté, too.


No comments: