Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Monday 21 December 2015

O-musubi aka o-nigiri aka Japanese rice 'balls'

They aren't round. They are adorable little pudgy triangles. And it's become a thing -- started by a Japanese comedian who took a photo of his baby with his hands around the baby's face in the triangular shape of o-nigiri -- to put o-nigiri baby photos on social media.

(http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/07/02/rice-ball-baby-face-is-so-cute-we-want-to-eat-it-all-up/)


But that has nothing to do with the fact that this is a badass way to eat rice that few people away from the land of the rising sun practice. It involves compressing cooked rice in your hands into a triangular shape. That's it. You can eat it right away then. This time, I cut up sheets of nori and wrapped each triangle in a stub of nori, then sprinkled it with shoyu and pressed the edges into white sesames seeds.  Then oven bakes for about 25 minutes I think. Ta da!!





So, cook yourself some short grain brown rice (stickier than long grain), season it up with a little salt or whatever, and press it into triangles.

Simple and yummy. A fun way to make rice into finger food.






 ingredients:

short grain brown rice -- I like to get rice for stuff like this that is short grain. Cal rose is a nice one.

sea salt

nori
tamari
sesame seeds

1. rinse the rice in a strainer or a sieve
2. cook the rice
(I cook it 1:2 rice:water, and I include sea salt in it when I cook it. Not a lot, but some.
3. let the rice cool. You can season it as you like it here.
4. you can also use rice that you cooked previously that is already cool
5. using hands that are damp (with such things as apple cider vinegar, why not) scoop up a small hand full of rice, and press it between your palms. I tend to make my o-nigiri smaller than the ones in the photos. If you want to put some filling in, you can also do that!
6. turn the rice ball in your hands, and press again
7. that's it.
8. decorate for flavour and appearance with tamari, nori, and sesame seeds, if desired
9. eat as they are, or bake at 345 for 20 minutes or so.

No comments: