Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Wednesday 20 January 2016

A small Apple Maple Upside down cake -- vegan, gluten free, grain free, delicious

For some people, apples might always make them think of forbidden fruit and the Garden of Eden. For me, apples are comfort. Apples are ordinary. Apples are accessible, available, friendly, and always just what I want. There is a reason why some of our favourite dishes involve apples. Apples, fresh and just cut into slices. Apples cut into cubes and baked in a dutch oven with vanilla and cinnamon. Apples baked into upside down cake. This upside down cake is so pretty, and tasty in that 'person next door' way. Not flashy. Comforting.

This recipe uses a  mix of flours because yes I'm crazy.  It's a great mix of flours that is really good for you, and also makes a beautiful cake. It's moist, gluten free, grain free, and really really good.  If you are looking for nut free, I recommend swapping out the raw almond flour for sunflower seed flour. That's one of our go-tos and is just great. I make my own raw sunflower seed flour by grinding raw sunflower seeds in my small seed/coffee grinder. Makes a delicate, lovely flour. Just right for baking.









This is from the bigger cake I made back in November, but you get the idea of  how it works!!


equipment needed:

mixing bowls
mixing spoons

measuring cups
measuring spoons

grinder for chia seeds and sunflower seeds (if you are using sunflower seeds)

kettle to heat the water

baking parchment
small round baking pan (8 inches)

knife and cutting board for apples



ingredients:

A.
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
(1 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar)

B.
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1 cup raw almond flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup ground chia seed
2 tbsp coconut sugar

C.
1/4 tsp sea salt (1/2 tsp sea salt)
1 tsp ceylon cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground vanilla bean


D.
1 apple diced -- (2 apples diced if small! -- depends on the size! Don't skimp on the apples for this cake)




----
E.
1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 apples, sliced
1 tbsp coconut sugar



directions:

preheat the oven to 345

1. combine dry ingredients (B and C)
2. combine water, maple syrup, and coconut oil, and let melt. Add vanilla extract and lemon juice/apple cider vinegar (A)
3. cut 1 apple into small dices (D)
4. slice 2 apples into slices -- don't go paper thin. Make 'em generous. This will be the crowning glory for your cake. (E)
5. line a small round pan with parchment and oil generously with coconut oil
6. sprinkle the parchment with 1 tbsp coconut sugar
7. line the parchment with spirals of apple slices
8. sprinkle the apple slices with 1 tbsp coconut sugar
9. combine the  dry and wet ingredients, and stir thoroughly
10. stir in the apple chunks
11. pour the batter over the apple spirals in the bottom of the pan
12. tap the pan on the counter to settle the batter into the apples and smooth the top a little
13. bake at 345 for 45 minutes
14. cool
15. invert onto a plate
16. remove the parchment



No comments: