bread mixer or strong hands
large pot for boiling the pretzels
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup tapioca starch
2 cups kamut flour
1/4 cup corn meal
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp bread yeast
1. in a bowl or large cup, combine warm water, coconut sugar, and bread yeast
2. allow to foam, setting aside until you are ready for it
3. in the bowl of your mixer or in a large bowl, combine the sea salt, Kamut flour, tapioca starch, and corn meal
4. add the proofed water/yeast combination to the dry ingredients and mix, kneading until the dough is soft and stretchy.
5. break off small pieces of dough and roll into long thin sticks, then twist the sticks into proper knotted pretzel shapes.
6. place them on a silicone baking mat to rise for 1 1/2 hours
7. boil water in a large pot, adding a few tbsp of baking soda
8. boil the pretzels in the baking soda water for 2 minutes
9. drain the pretzels (I use a slotted spoon and then let them rest on a wire baking rack)
(If you so desire, this would be a good time to sprinkle them with large salt crystals. We didn't.
10. place on the silicone mat
11. bake at 345 for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size of pretzels