Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Baked Vegetable Stew -- Nemesis to the Rescue



peasant food, anyone?






Ah, Nemesis, my old friend. I always enjoy cooking with my enameled cast-iron casserole. The metal holds the heat so it cooks the food in addition to the heat of the oven cooking the food, and the enameled finish cleans up easily. It's also pretty. And really, really heavy.

I decided it would be fun to experiment with this cooking pot, but I think this recipe would work equally well in any large casserole. Or even a dutch oven, provided it was oven safe.

I made a rather large quantity, because I was working with some rather large vegetables, and hey, I'm lazy and don't want to have to cook again for a couple of days. Plus I like stocking my freezer with meals  that just need to be heated up. But this recipe can easily be halved.

I whipped up a loaf of bread that rose while the casserole was in the oven,  and then baked on the same temperature. I personally am a big fan of fresh bread and vegetable stew, but if you're not, you could always eat it by itself, with quinoa, with rice, whilst tap-dancing, on your balcony, or with Parisian spies dressed in Versace.

The bread recipe I used was the same as from my post for Very Good Bread. It's our favourite, and seems to be pretty much idiot-proof, which means I don't screw it up even when my mind is on other things and I make mistakes.

So, if you are a fan of vegetable stew and fresh bread, you might like to eat like we did tonight. It was very tasty.


ingredients:

1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cashews
1 tsp sea salt

2 cups Du Puy lentils
1 tsp sea salt

4 medium sized carrots, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)

2 large sweet potatoes, cut into cubes (about 4 cups)

1 acorn squash, cut into cubes
1 tsp sea salt

1 tbsp herbe de provence
1 1/2 cups water +1/2 cup left over tomato sauce (or 1 and 1 or 2 and 0 or 0 and 2 etc.)

300 g package of organic frozen spinach, brought to room temperature


directions:

1. preheat your oven to 345
2. put the coconut oil in your pot or casserole, and put it in the oven for just a few minutes as it's preheating to liquify the oil
3. put the onion, garlic, cashews and 1 tsp of salt into the oil, and stir around
4. layer the 2 cups of lentils next, and sprinkle with another tsp of sea salt
5. layer the carrots next
6. layer the sweet potatoes next. I used my fabulous purple ones, as you can see in the picture
7. layer the squash next, and sprinkle the 3rd tsp of sea salt on top.
8. sprinkle 1 tbsp of herbe de provence on top of the squash
9. pour your water or water and tomato sauce or pure tomato sauce mixture over the squash
10. put the lid on, and put the casserole in the oven
11. bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 345, depending on your cooking dish
12. when it comes out, stir in your room temperature spinach and put the lid back on, but don't return to it to the oven
13. put your bread in the oven to bake
14 serve the stew with bread, baby tomatoes, and carrot medallions. Or a side salad. Or a slightly sardonic smile.

This tasted very good, and is one of those dishes that will also improve in flavour by the next day. I'm definitely going to jar some of it for future meals when I don't have the ingredients or time to cook from fresh.


2 comments:

Jessica said...

man this looks good! I am going to have to try it. Wish we were neighbors, I could just run over and eat whatever you cook!

stacey said...

I wish you we were too :) I always make way too much and then we have to eat it for days ... You could be one of my 'tasters'. ;)