Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Monday 6 December 2010

Short Grain Brown Rice -- How I cook short grain brown rice

The adorable chubby grains of a short grain California brown. Calrose, anyone?


My mother always admonished that the rice didn't like to be looked at while it was cooking, and we were forbidden to ever remove the lid from a pot of rice that was cooking. The Japanese also aver it's imperative never to open the pot and release the steam while the rice is cooking -- it will interfere with the perfection that can only ensue when ritual is followed to a 't'. 

Now, I'm not much of a rule follower, as you might have surmised from my crazy cooking. And to be honest, I always hated rice. However, now that I've moved beyond the white parboiled rice of my childhood, I've found a little more virtue to the grain.

I've bought a cheeky little whole grain basmati from the Indian market up the street, black Thai rice and red cargo rice from the awesome Asian market near the Docks, a fabulous deep garnet red long grain rice from the Bulk Barn, purple rice, and many many varieties of whole and brown rice, both long and short grain. I've found my favourite, for flavour and texture, is the California short grain brown rice, or even Calrose. The grains of our California brown are so short they are nearly round. The rice itself has a pleasing flavour, and the grains keep a tender yet chewy texture that is pleasant and works well with the dishes we make.

One of my secrets for perfect rice is a little oil in the water. This not only elevates the rice in flavour and texture, but it also helps keep the rice from boiling over. When I make rice for sushi, I don't put oil in it (this would also prevent it from clinging together properly), and I've notice it can build up enough starch in the water for a boil over if making a large quantity at once ...

So, here is how I make rice that turns out perfectly every time, despite my bad habits and rule breaking behaviour.


ingredients:

1 cup short grain brown rice
2 cups filtered water
1/4 - 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 - 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)


directions:

1. put all the ingredients in an adequately large pot
2. put the pot on an element, put a lid on the pot, and turn the heat up to high to bring the water to a boil.
3. once the water reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low, and set the timer for 40 minutes.
4. after 40 minutes, check the rice. All the water should be absorbed. If not, give it another couple of minutes.
5. turn off the element, and take the pot off the heat
6. this recipe is tasty by itself or as a side dish or a bottom layer ...
7. double or triple the recipe and have extras for whipping up such goodies as fried rice. 



No comments: