Requests are welcome!
A reader asked for a healthy cookie recipe that used oats and didn't use nuts or sugar. She specified that either honey or agave would be fine, and I think you could use either for this recipe. Or maple syrup. Or coconut nectar for something a little less sweet. Basically, any liquid sweetener will work very well.
I made a very small batch -- 1/2 dozen -- so as not to be left with lots of orphan cookies that no one would eat if they weren't delicious. It's also nice to be able to make a very small quantity of cookies if you are just one, and not that much of a sweet eater. I will post the quantities for 2 dozen however :).
Anyway, these are sweet and yummy at the same time as being quite good for you.
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil (and if you prefer butter, please sub in an equivalent quantity instead of the coconut oil)
1 tsp egg replacer + 1/4 cup cool water (or 1 large or xl egg)
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup honey (or use maple syrup or agave for vegan cookies!! or my favourite coconut nectar for less sweet cookies)
1 tsp to 1 tbsp ground vanilla (I prefer 1 tbsp ground vanilla bean because I am a vanilla fiend)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 tsp sea salt (different salts have different levels of 'saltiness', if you'd believe it!)
1/4 cup flax meal
2 cups large flake rolled oats
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut flour
1. melt the coconut oil in the warm water, and add the honey
2. add the vinegar and the egg replacer mixture or egg
3. add the salt, vanilla, and cinnamon
4. add the oat flakes, and let sit for 5 minutes
5. add the flax meal and the baking soda
6. add the coconut flour
7. if you are a rebel, now would be the time to add a handful of raisins, nuts, chocolate chips, goji berries, pumpkin seeds, or diced dried apricots. I personally wasn't feeling very rebellious today.
8. drop spoonfuls onto a lined baking sheet and flatten them with a wet fork
9. bake in a preheated oven at 345 for 12-15 minutes depending on how crisp you like 'em.
10. store in an airtight container once they have cooled.
makes 2 dozen!