Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Monday 6 August 2012

Blueberry Cake for Breakfast -- a gluten free, light, delicate monstrosity

My people call it cake. I call it breakfast. I made this little concoction when I had people coming over for a morning tea party. Blueberry cake and seasonal fruit, and a cup of tea. Need I say more? I used my coffee grinder to reduce the cashews, chia seeds, shredded coconut, hemp hearts, and sesame seeds to a fine powder.









 ingredients:

 2 cups warm water
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil (unrefined and organic -- I prefer Nutiva)
1/2 cup unpasteurized local honey
 1 tbsp ground vanilla bean (thank you vanillafoodcompany.com)
1 tsp ground ceylon cinnamon (ditto)
1 tsp sea salt
ground black pepper (just a little)
1/4 cup hemp hearts, ground
1/2 cup raw cashews, ground
1/2 cup white sesame seeds, ground
1/4 cup white chia seeds, ground
1 cup shredded coconut, ground (organic)

 4 eggs

1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups blanched almond flour (thank you nuts.com)

 2 cups of frozen blueberries (still frozen) or fresh if you have

 coconut sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)


 directions:

 preheat the oven to 345
grease a large rectangular glass baking dish

1. combine the honey, coconut oil, and water
2. add the vanilla bean, cinnamon, sea salt, and black pepper
3. stir in the ground hemp, cashews, sesame seeds, chia seeds, and coconut
4. mix in the eggs and the baking soda
5. stir in the almond flour
6. quickly fold in the blueberries and pour into the pan
7. sprinkle with coconut sugar
8. bake at 345 for 60 minutes



This cake bakes up light and moist and sweet and delicious. It was a perfect brunchy treat, and seconds were had by most, thirds by some.

No comments: