Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Saturday 12 March 2011

Gluten Free Pancakes for Dinner -- gluten free and delicious


We love pancakes for dinner, and it's always a happy evening in our house when there are pancakes.  I made these using only gluten free ingredients, along with some very nice organic cow milk from a lovely milkman with very happy cows, and some beautiful organic eggs from very happy chickens. However, it is perfectly possible to make these pancakes without milk or eggs for those who are intolerant, sensitive, allergic, or philosophically and morally opposed. You can substitute egg replacer and water for the eggs and use water or nut milk for the cow milk.

I wanted to experiment more with gluten free grain flours, and used a combination of buckwheat and quinoa along with my beloved almond flour. Spiked with a little ground vanilla bean and ceylon cinnamon, the result is a delicate, fluffy, subtly sweet and fragrant pancake that makes you wonder why anyone would ever use white flour for pancakes.

Needless to say, they were very well received, and the flavour is wonderfully balanced and tasty. I made the batter hours ahead, and this is something I find makes for better pancakes and crepes -- if they are made ahead and left to sit in the fridge for at least an hour.


ingredients:

2 xl organic eggs
2 cups organic milk

1/2  tsp sea salt and a touch of black pepper
1 tsp ground vanilla bean
1 tsp ceylon cinnamon

1/4 cup flax meal
1 cup almond flour

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour

1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
(or you can go with 1 tsp baking powder)


directions:

1. beat your eggs
2. add the milk and seasonings and stir well
3. add the flax and almond flour
4. add in the buckwheat and quinoa flour and mix well
5. add in the baking soda and cream of tartar and combine well
6. allow to sit covered in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or all day
7. on a heated skillet, cook the pancakes a few at a time, depending on how big the pan is, and how big your pancakes are.
8. serve with your favourite pancake toppings.

I personally like my pancakes savoury, and have been known to top them with such things as pizza sauce, or eat them with sauteed veggies instead of syrup. Whatever suits your tongue works with pancakes. 


No comments: