Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Thursday 17 March 2011

Polenta My Way (or the highway) -- gluten free, dairy free, vegan and all that jazz



We don't eat a lot of corn or corn products, but every now and then we really enjoy some polenta. I often will add sauteed tomato, garlic, and onion, but this time I wanted a very simple and basic tasting polenta as a side for our rather zesty chili con broccoli. I did use a tiny bit of sauteed onion, and some herbs, but the taste is simple and homey, instead of a zesty party in your mouth. If you prefer a zesty party, I recommend adding said sauteed tomato and garlic, and perhaps a little chili powder, too. I personally loved it like this, and I think it makes a very nice basis for other dishes. Think slices of polenta topped with chili, slices of polenta topped with chevre, slices of polenta topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions ... 

I have veered from a traditional polenta by adding both flax meal and almond meal, but I believe neither the taste nor the texture are compromised by this compromise ;)

And like with all soy products, I would strongly urge you to choose organic corn and corn products if at all possible. You can find organic corn meal in the organic section at Loblaws, and it is widely available.

ingredients:


1 onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
2 tbsp coconut oil

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
6 cups boiling water


2 or 3 tsp sea salt
black pepper
1 tsp herbe de provence


2 cups organic corn meal
1/2 cup flax meal
1 cup almond meal


directions:

preheat oven to 345

1. cook the onions into submission in the coconut oil with the salt
2. add the boiling water, then stir in the flax meal, almond meal, and corn meal
3. add the herbs and pepper
4. stir until thickens
5. scoop into a greased baking dish (square) and bake for 60 minutes on 345.
6. allow to sit for 1 hour before serving in order to remove from the pan without mushing, but can be reheated in slices lightly basted with coconut oil on a baking sheet.

YUM



No comments: