Our organic box included something I have never used: fennel. In addition, I had picked up a jicama when I happened to come across one. So, I thought it would be fun to see what I could do. The result was a refreshing, crunchy, and tasty salad that went nicely with our oven roasted potatoes.
preheat oven to 345
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 fennel, bulb cut into slices, then halves of slices
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 jicama, peeled and cut into 'matchsticks'
1 pink lady apple, cut into 'matchsticks' (or granny smith)
1 piñata apple, cut into 'matchsticks' (or royal gala)
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp lime juice
3/8 tsp sea salt
1. melt the coconut oil in your baking pan by placing it in the preheating oven for a few minutes
2. add the fennel and 1/4 tsp sea salt, and toss well
3. bake uncovered for 30 minutes, until fennel is done
4. combine apples, jicama, and fennel, and toss to coat everything with the oil from the baking fennel
5. add the honey, lime juice, and sea salt, and toss well
6. add the parsley, and toss well
I found the roasted fennel to be sublime, and the jicama to be interesting. In future, I might try skipping the jicama, and add some oven roasted beet for contrast ... or perhaps oven roasted black radish.
The salad was enjoyed very much by all ages, including the unpredictable three year old, and my dear husband who has the tongue of a twelve year old.