Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Saturday 26 November 2011

Date and Pecan Muffins -- gluten free, sugar free baby cakes for breakie





My sweet little boy was very eager for there to be muffins in the house. A Saturday morning baking binge produced peanut butter cookies, a loaf of bread, and these date and pecan muffins. Pecans are an interesting nut in that they have an unexpectedly sweet and maple-reminiscent flavour. On the strength of those sweet little morsels and a full cup of chopped dates, I decided to go without any additional sweetener in these muffins. The combination of nuts and seeds will make these a very good, high energy snack, or even a reasonable quick breakfast.  Try 'em and let me know what you think. 

I hope they are worth it. In creating the recipe I managed to over-write my post from July 17th, which I then had to go and painstakingly recreate and pull from online caches. Or rather I made my poor beleaguered husband pull from online-caches.  At the very least, I owe him a muffin! I've tried to repost it all, but it may be a little messed up ...

Anyway, dear friends and lovely readers, happy muffining!


ingredients:

1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar


2 tsp ground vanilla
1 tsp korintje cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp sea salt

2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 tsp baking soda

4 eggs

1 cup chopped honey dates (no pit)
1 cup chopped pecans


directions:

preheat the oven to 345

1. combine the boiling water with the coconut oil to melt it
2. add in the chia seeds, hemp seeds, and apple cider vinegar
3. add the sea salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger
4. mix in the almond flour and baking soda
5. stir in the eggs once the mixture is not too hot
6. add the chopped dates and pecans and a generous dollop of positive thoughts and wistful memories
7. scoop into 24 prepared muffin cups
8. bake at 345 for 28 minutes
9. allow to cool for a while before removing from the muffin cups
10. store in an airtight container when fully cooled.

Dates are so sweet they taste like candy, and I'm having a hard time convincing my son these muffins don't have candy in them.

No comments: