Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Monday 1 September 2014

Dark Brown Bread -- Gluten free, sunflower seed flour bread





So, due to some digestive peculiarities in our house hold, we've been toying with this gluten-free bread. I'm not a huge fan of the rice-flour breads etc, so here's something with moistness and flavour that we enjoy for sandwiches and toast. In order for it to be school-able, we've gone the sunflower seed flour route this time. A little carob adds darkness and depth, and I threw in some pea protein powder for extra ooooooooomph.

I just ate a piece spread with coconut oil for fun. Some people like butter. It's also good plain, and I love it with almond butter.

This bread is more cake-like in texture, and is quite moist, but can slice thinly and do all the fancy dance-steps your usual loaf might undertake when your back is turned.


ingredients:


2 cups water
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup finely ground chia seeds
1/2 cup ground hemp hearts
2 tbsp arrowroot flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
4 tbsp carob powder
(2 tbsp pea protein powder)

2 cups sunflower seed flour
3/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup whole black chia seeds


directions:

1. combine the water and vinegar
2. add in the salt, chia, hemp, arrowroot, xanthan, carob, and pea protein, and either whisk or use a hand blender. Xanthan gum is a tricky bastard if you are not careful. Slimy and clumpy? Ick. Mix that sass-monster in.
3. Add the flours and baking soda, and mix with a spoon
4. Finally stir in your whole chia seeds
5. put into a loaf pan that has been lined with parchment
6. shape the loaf
7. bake at 345 for 90 minutes
8. dehydrate at 200 for 3 hours, removing from the pan after 1 hour

(I do 2 loaves at once so as not to run the oven for this long for just 1.)

345 for 90 minutes
200 for 180 minutes

1 comment:

The Paleo Plate Cafe said...

Wow!!! it was really fantastic information nice share. I really enjoyed. The Paleo Palate CafĂ© is a revolutionary online bakery + cafe and Toronto’s one stop destination for all things gluten free and Paleo. Best Gluten and Dairy Free Desserts in Toronto. | Paleo Desserts to Buy in Toronto | Keto Desserts to Buy in Toronto | Sugar Free Baked Goods in Toronto | Best Gluten Free Baked Goods in Toronto