Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Chocolate Muffins -- vegan, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, high protein muffins, safe for school!





So, these got made today. And they will find their way into Zephyr's lunch box tomorrow. The are not too sweet, but taste great. I threw in some pea protein, which is a high quality, easily digestible vegan protein. I got it recently because I'd been feeling like I was losing ground, strength wise, so I though maybe a little extra something would help me gain back and move forward. Anyway, it has been finding its way into my son's porridge in the morning, as well as into various meals I prepare for myself. And today, it found its way into these. I also threw in a small quantity of Krisda chocolate chips. Which taste pretty good in baked goods but are sweetened with stevia instead of sugar. So, I don't mind my child eating them at lunch. Coconut sugar is low on the glycemic index, and the combination of seeds and protein in these will help maintain stable energy and blood sugar for ages. And, they taste pretty nice. We all enjoyed one after dinner, and there were definitely no complaints.


ingredients:

1/4 cup coconut oil
1 coconut sugar

3 cups hot water
1 tbsp vanilla extract



1/2 cup raw cacao
1/4 cup pea protein powder 
1 tbsp ground vanilla bean
3/4 tsp sea salt



2 tbsp arrowroot powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum


1 cup hemp hemp hearts, ground

1/4 cup ground chia seeds


2 cups ground sunflower seeds


1 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup krisda chocolate chips








directions:

1. combine all ingredients except sunflower seed flour and baking soda, and then mix with a hand blender.
2. mix in the sunflower seed flour and the baking soda
3. mix in the krisda chocolate chips
4. scoop into 24 prepared muffin cups
5. bake at 345 for 60 minutes

makes 24 delicious small muffins

No comments: