Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Tuesday 22 February 2011

Seaweed Crackers -- a gluten free, dairy free, savoury treat





I do not have a raging sweet tooth most of the time, and when I want a nibble, I often want something in the savoury end of the spectrum. You may recall my obsession with sea weed. I just got 3 different kinds of seaweed in 'granulated' form, which really just mean little pieces. The smell is so divine that I was moved to immediately make some sea weed crackers. I used 'sea lettuce' this time, but I honestly think it would work well with whatever sea weed you have in granulated form.  My very nearly almost three-years-old son is crazy about them, and ate almost the entire batch just as soon as they were baked. My mother and brother dropped by, and polished off the rest. I like 'em too. My poor husband tried one and made his 'icky' face. Poor husband. I bet you're beginning to sense a theme ...

Hmm. I bet these would be fabulous with a couple of table spoons of roasted sesame seeds thrown in for fun ... Next time!


ingredients:

1/4 cup coconut butter
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp water
1 organic egg (xl)

1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
1/4 cup flax meal
1/4 cup granulated sea weed (sea lettuce or another kind such as dulse or kelp -- or a mixture)
1/4 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 cups almond flour


directions:

preheat the oven to 300

1. melt the coconut butter by adding boiling water to it
2. stir in the apple cider vinegar
3. mix in the egg, making sure it's not too hot before hand
4. mix in the sea salt and flax meal
5. add the sea weed
6. add the baking soda
7. stir in the almond flour -- the last 1/2 cup may take a little elbow grease, but you can use your hands if you need to.
8. roll the dough out thin between 2 sheets of parchment paper into a large rectangle (best if you do it in 2 parts) (the bottom layer that you roll on can be a silicone baking mat)
9. transfer the parchment with the dough on it onto a baking sheet
9. score the rectangle into small, cracker-sized squares using a butter knife or other dull instrument
10. bake at 300 for 25 minutes, then turn off the oven and let the crackers stay in for another 30 minutes as the oven cools.  (switch the 2 pans positions halfway through the 25 minutes)
11. when completely cool, put the crackers into an air tight container

YUM




No comments: