Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Tuesday 22 February 2011

Yellow Cookies -- Saffron and Lemon -- Gluten free, sugar free, dairy free




When I asked my son what kind of cookies we should make, he responded: "Yellow". My son really likes the colour yellow. Hot pick is also a big winner with him. I'm just glad he didn't ask for pink cookies, because I don't have anything that would have worked for pink.

I decided to make saffron and lemon cookies, using only coconut flour. I'm trying to extricate myself from my exclusive reliance on nut flours, because I do have some friends who are nut sensitive, intolerant, or allergic, and I'd like to have a couple of recipes in my arsenal that would work when they come to call.

These cookies were a big hit with my son, and with his 3 year old friend. I thought they needed more lemon juice personally, and a little more saffron.


ingredients:

1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut nectar
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water (heated to boiling)
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp lemon juice
2 organic eggs

1/4 to 1/2 tsp saffron

1/4 cup finely ground chia seeds
3/8 to 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup coconut flour

optionally, add 2 tsp of lemon zest before the coconut flour


directions:

preheat the oven to 345

1. pour hot water over the coconut oil in a boil
2. add the saffron threads, and allow to soak for 10 minutes
3. add the lemon juice and coconut nectar, and (optionally) puree with a stick blender to make the saffron bits smaller
4. add the eggs when sufficiently cool
5. mix in the chia meal and sea salt
6. stir in the baking soda (and then the lemon zest)
7. lastly, add the coconut flour
8. roll the dough into balls, and flatten them onto a lined baking sheet
9. bake at 345 degrees for 20 or 25 minutes
10. store in the fridge in an airtight container, once cool
11. makes on baking sheet full of cookies



No comments: