Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Savoury Polenta with Garlic, Onion, and Tomato -- gluten-free, polenta with a twist




Apparently, we are still on our polenta kick. One of my favourite ways to make polenta is with a pound or two of tomatoes, with some well sauteed onion and garlic for extra zest. It's so savoury and flavourful that I've served it in small sticks as a party finger food. That format is also quite appealing to littlies, because it's easy to pick up and shove in their mouths. The large amount of almond meal and flax meal along with the tomato practically make this dish a meal in itself. Certainly, I've eaten variations of this as a lunch time porridge.

If you are not as much of a garlic phobe as am I, you may or may not cook your garlic and onions to death. However, I think the flavour of the tomatoes, garlic, and onions is mellowed, harmonized, and balanced by the saute and simmer. I used marjoram and a little chili powder. Oregano and or basil would also rock in this dish. 

The making is simple. A little saute in coconut oil, a little water and the cornmeal/almond meal brought to a boil, then baking in a greased baking dish. If you are a purist, you can certainly make this using only cornmeal, no almond meal and flax meal. However, I believe that the addition of the flax and almond do not detract from the taste and texture in anyway, and go a long way to making this a dish that will be stabilizing to blood sugar, and much better for you than a dish made just with cornmeal. Unless you are allergic to nuts. Then this dish will be much better for you without the almond meal ;) But if you are allergic to nuts or coconut, chances are you gave up on my blog long ago, if you ever found your way here at all.


ingredients:

1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 tbsp finely minced garlic
1 small onion, finely chopped -- approx 1/2 cup
1/2 lb finely diced roma tomatoes (or more)

2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp marjoram

3 cups water
1/4 cup flax meal
1 cup almond meal
1 cup organic corn meal


directions:

1. saute the garlic and onion in the coconut oil in a large pot until they are fully cooked
2. add the tomatoes and simmer until the tomatoes are cooked into submission
3. add the water, and stir in the flax meal, almond meal, and corn meal
4. over low heat, keep stirring until the mixture thickens up
5. put into a prepared baking dish (a square glass dish would be my choice here 1 1/2 or 2 L dish) (or the  recipe can be doubled and baked in a 3L rectangular dish)
6. bake at 345 for 60 minutes
7. allow to cool before cutting or it will just fall apart
8. pieces can be brushed with oil and grilled or reheated in the oven on a baking sheet





No comments: