Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Saturday 1 September 2012

Chocolate seed cookies -- nut free, sugar free, grain free, gluten free


It's back to school, and I am attempting to make politically correct, nut-free snacks. I can't promise that they won't start berating empty chairs, making statements about dressing like a tart, mouthing off about rape, or pretending that sticks are guns. BUT they are nut free, and won't get you into trouble with the lunch room supervisors.







ingredients:

1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil (organic and unrefined)
1 cup pitted honey dates
1/4 cup water
2 eggs

1/2 cup raw cacao
1 tbsp ground vanilla bean
1/2 tsp sea salt

1 cup shredded coconut, ground
1/4 cup ground flax
1/4 cup black sesame seeds, ground
1/4 cup white sesame seeds, ground
1/2 cup ground raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup ground chia seeds

1/2 tsp baking soda


1 cup finely ground pumpkin seeds



directions:

1. combine the hot water and dates, then puree with an immersion blender. Add the coconut oil and puree again. Finally, add the eggs, and process with the immersion blender until smooth. 

2. stir in the raw cacao, vanilla bean, and sea salt. If you are nuts like me, you can add a little black pepper. This is a good time to stir in the baking soda.

3. I put all the pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, and sunflower seeds into a food processor to grind it up. I ground the chia seeds, flax seeds, and sesame seeds in a coffee grinder, and stirred them all into the date, egg, and cacao mixture.

6. scoop small spoonfuls onto lined  baking sheets
7. flatten with a wet fork and bake at 345 for 16-18 minutes
8. cool on a wire rack
9. store in an airtight container when cool

makes 4 dozen (depends on size!!!) but watch out they'll disappear before they are cool enough to pack up ...


**You can also chill the dough before baking, either in long logs which can be sliced into individual rounds, or just as dough that can then be rolled into very round balls and flattened.**

No comments: