Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Saturday 11 June 2011

A Colourful Crepe Filling -- naturally gluten free, vegan, and yummy


Come on, how pretty is that? I know what you are thinking: can I come over for dinner? Absolutely, you can. I always make enough to share. Unless what you were really thinking was that I must be daft. In which case ... um ... on to the next.

I used very little seasoning in this, just a little sea salt, a touch of black pepper, and a wee bit of dried marjoram. The combination of flavours gives a bright and savoury taste that wants for nothing. I was thrilled with the outcome, and am already looking forward to the left-overs tomorrow. Yum! In the house I grew up in, we all hated left-overs, but now to me they are practically a gift. One hour preparation on a meal that then lasts for three dinners. How awesome is that. If you are someone who likes to make a fresh meal every night, well, my hat is off to you, and unless your family is quite big, you might want to reduce the quantities. ;)


ingredients:

1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 small onion, diced -- about 1/2 cup
1 garlic clove, minced -- about 1 tbsp
1 med carrot, sliced
3 small tomatoes, diced -- about 3/4 cup
1 cup kidney beans (already cooked)
1/2 cup frozen corn (organic)
1/2 cup frozen peas (organic)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp marjoram

250 g broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces (about 1 1/4 cup)


directions:

1. begin to saute the garlic and onion in a large saute pan with the coconut oil
2. add the carrots, tomatoes, peas, corn, kidney beans, and sea salt, and cook until the tomatoes start to break down, and the onions are nice and translucent.
3. add the marjoram
4. add the broccoli, and cook just until the broccoli is as tender as you like it

Serve as a filling for our fabulous crepe recipe, or eat it by the bowlful with grunting noises and glances over your shoulder.








No comments: