Rainy mornings in Port Elgin always make me feel like baking. The challenge is to create with very limited ingredients, because I didn't bring much with me!
What I came up with is sort of my take on a granola bar, I suppose, minus the granola. These are suitable for those who need help keeping their blood sugar stable, are vegan, can't eat gluten, or just want a healthier alternative.
I would probably make 'em with more cinnamon next time, and some vanilla. And chopped walnuts instead of chopped almonds. But they are very nice, and quite successful for something rustled up from very limited ingredients.
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1 cup boiling water + 1/2 cup flax meal, combined and allowed to sit for 10 minutes
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 cups almond meal
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (up to 1 cup for true chocolate lovers)
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 cup raisins
preheat the oven to 345
1. combine boiling water and flax meal and let sit for 10 minutes
2. mix the flax seed water concoction with the coconut oil, coconut sugar, sea salt, and spices
3. mix in the almond flour and hemp seeds
4. add your chopped almonds, raisins, and chocolate chips (or whatever else you like!)
5. press into a parchment lined baking dish (large rectangular one)
6. flatten with your hands (you'll need to oil 'em up for this)
7. bake for 45 minutes on 345
8. remove from the oven, and cut into bars
9. cool thoroughly, and store in an airtight container