Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Monday 3 January 2011

Lentil Vegetable Soup -- Trotting out the crockpot again


I have been working on an apple crisp recipe. I've made 2 versions, and although I liked them both, I'm not quite ready to share. I think version 3 will be the winner. I've also been working on a lime sugar cookie recipe. Totally delicious, but not quite right. I'll post version 2 when I make them.

Apple Crisp courtesy of Nemesis


One thing I have been completely happy with is another fabulously delicious crockpot soup. You don't need a crock pot to make it, but it sure is handy being able to throw the ingredients in, and then let it do it's thing.

This soup, along with a freshly baked loaf of bread and a tomato, avocado, parsley, and swiss chard salad, was our New Year's Eve meal with friends.

Like most soups of this nature, although tasty the first day, reached its prime a day later. So, I made it on the Thursday for our Friday evening meal.

Delicious Lentil and Vegetable Soup


Really Good Bread ...

ingredients:

2 tsp finely minced garlic
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup finely diced carrot
1/3 cup finely diced celery
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/6 tsp cumin
1/6 tsp chili powder
1/6 tsp turmeric

125 g cauliflower (2/3 cup)

2/3 cup du puys lentils
1 tsp sea salt
3 cups water
1 cup diced asian sweet potato
1 tsp marjoram
a little black pepper
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup green peas (frozen defrosted)
2/3 cup (125g) broccoli, steamed if raw, defrosted if frozen. Cut into small florets.


directions:

1. saute garlic, onion, carrot, and celery with coconut oil, sea salt, and spices
2. when veggies are thoroughly sauteed, put them in the crock pot along with the lentils, cauliflower, sweet potato, coconut oil, water, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt. Throw in the marjoram and black pepper. Close the lid.
3.  Allow the soup to cook in the crockpot (or stove top in a covered pot) until lentils are soft and the cauliflower has fallen apart. (It takes about 1 hour on stove top, and 4-6 hours in a crockpot (maybe 5 hours) on high.)
4. Turn off the heat, and add the green peas and broccoli.
5. Serve with fresh bread, with a handful of rotini, or with a side salad.

And finally, a photo essay called :

My Rockin' New Year's Eve

Scenery -- a frozen waterfall



Towards the DVP

Two cuties

On the space ship

O.M.'s 'Anniken Skywalker Pose'

A fierce Space Squirrel

My boys

More posing :)

Ringing in the New Year

Eating the soup


New Year's Tickle-fest
Apple Crisp Numero 2

Yummmmmm :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

question about the coconut oil - you use it to saute the c/c/o but then the recipie mentions more in the soup itself..?? did you?
inquiring minds want to know.
M

stacey said...

Well, it sounds like something I'd do! I probably put in a little with everything to cook. However, I can't remember exactly. I'm not sure why I didn't list that in the ingredients ... Will rectify.

Anonymous said...

YUM-O!! yet again.
i got quite an eyebrow raise at the unbroken down cauliflower bits, but they went over well with all concerned....
heres another question - my soups somehow end up far less soupy and far more stewy than yours, even though when I doubled this I added more water. Whats with that? I made this the day before and reheated the next day - do little lentils continue to swell over night??
M

stacey said...

Hmmm. Well, often soups or stews made with lentils or beans or other kinds of starchy components do thicken up behind your back. I'm not sure why yours did more than mine ... did you use a different kind of lentil? At any rate, you can always adjust by adding a little water when you reheat the soup. Of course, you don't want it to taste too dilute.

I'm delighted you guys enjoyed it, unbroken down cauliflower and all. This soup went over famously here, too.

I would like to do a chickpea and tomato stew later this week. I've been trying to do more stews than soups since I figured they'd transport better for lunches ... But now I'm off to set.

Anonymous said...

same lentils... dunno.

stacey said...

Well, we may never know. However, as I said, you can add more water provided the flavours are strong enough to carry extra dilution. That is, if you would like your soup to be more soup than stew ... :)