Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Friday 7 January 2011

Tomato and Chickpea Soup -- Another Heavenly Winter Soup




We've been on a soup kick lately, and I've got another fabulous soup for you that is chock full of fabulosity.  We all enjoy a hearty winter soup with a slice off a freshly baked loaf of bread, and perhaps a side of grape tomatoes or sauteed broccoli. Or both.

When I give my son soup, I tend to give it to him without much broth. He doesn't seem to enjoy the broth part of soup, although he enjoys the rest of it. Definitely not a candidate for consomme, even if we weren't vegetarians. So you can probably guess that his is the bowl that doesn't have the vegetables submerged. I personally think this broth is fantastic, and judging by the number of slices of bread my husband used to mop his up, I think he thought it was good to the last drop too. (And then he finished the little broth that had been at the bottom of our son's bowl, too.)

This is not a crockpot soup, although you could probably cook it in a crockpot if you are so inclined.


ingredients:

2 tbsp coconut oil
5/8 cup red onion, finely chopped (10 tbsp, or 1/2 a cup + 1/2 of a 1/4 cup, in case your 5/8 measure has gone missing ...
1 tbsp garlic, finely minced
3/4 cup carrot, finely diced
3/4 cup celery, finely diced
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder

1 1/2 cups sweet potato, diced
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
275 g cocktail, cherry, or grape tomatoes, chopped (approx 1 1/2  or 2 cups)
125 g cauliflower, defrosted if frozen (approx one heaping cup)

3 cups water
1 1/2 tsp marjoram
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
black pepper at will


directions:

1. saute the garlic, onion, carrot, and celery in the coconut oil in a medium or large dutch oven along with 1 tsp sea salt, cumin, and chili powder
2. when the onions and garlic are fully cooked, add the tomatoes, and cook them down just a little
3. add the cauliflower and sweet potato, and the chickpeas, along with the water, and the rest of the seasonings.
4. bring your concoction to a simmer and allow to simmer happily for 1 hour, covered.

The other vegetable ingredients make a very rich tasting, flavourful broth, which provides a wonderful back drop to the tomato.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum-o! On the menu for next week...
m

stacey said...

If visit again, let me know how it turns out! A lot of the time, people tend to personalize a recipe with the addition/substitution of their own faves, so I'd love to hear what you end up putting in it.

Anonymous said...

fantastic! I tossed in some extra chili powder, and didnt bother with the last bit of salt, but otherwise stuck to it as written. I will branch out next time, but I expect that I will always keep the sweet potato - a personal favourite of mine!
m

stacey said...

Sounds great :)
Thanks for sharing. I think this is one of my favourite soups ... I'm glad you like it too! Did Sara like it?

Anonymous said...

two thumbs up from sara!

stacey said...

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad it went over so well with everyone.