Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Saturday 23 October 2010

Coffee Cake

REALLY MOIST AND REALLY YUMMY

I thought it would be fun to whip up a coffee cake last night. We have music class on Saturday mornings with our friends, and our Aunt Sarah and Uncle Ted often visit before that on their way home from the St. Lawrence Farmer's Market. I wanted to be able to offer something wholesome yet delicious to go with coffee or tea, or to be consumed by the fistful by toddlers from chubby little fingers. You could definitely make this cake as 24 muffins if you didn't want to make it as a large rectangular cake.
This cake is redolent with cinnamon and vanilla, and that slightly complex dark sweetness that comes from maple syrup. It was well enjoyed by everyone, and is really a little too wholesome to be truly a cake or a cupcake, although surprisingly sweet, especially when you consider out how little sweetener there is in it.


ingredients:

1 1/2 cups organic whole milk
2 organic eggs, large
1 tbsp vanilla
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil (I prefer Nutiva)
1/2 cup maple syrup

1 tsp sea salt
2 cups fine almond flour (I used JK Gourmet)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
a quick grind or two of black pepper
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup fine kamut flour (whole grain)

1/2 cup organic thompson raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans


directions:

preheat the oven to 345

1. warm the milk slightly
2. add the coconut oil, and stir until melted
3. add eggs and stir briskly
4. add vanilla and maple syrup, combining well
5. add salt and spices and almond flour, and stir well
6. add baking soda, mix well
7. add kamut flour, and mix thoroughly but briefly
8. add raisins and pecans
9. pour batter into a greased rectangular pan, and sprinkle the top with a little cinnamon and coconut palm nectar
10. alternately, you can bake this in 24 prepared muffin cups (use paper liners if you aren't using silicone)
11. bake at 345 for 35 minutes

I cut my rectangular cake into 24 pieces, so the following information would be the same for the cake or the muffins.


each piece/muffin contains:

1/2 tsp egg
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp raisins
1 tsp pecans
2 tsp kamut flour
3 tsp milk
4 tsp almond flour

etc.

Not such a huge amount of sweetner, and plenty of protein.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.




2 comments:

Sara said...

Wow this is absolutely fantastic. I am so grateful you posted this!!! I love coffee cake, but the traditional stuff just makes me feel sick. This cake is moist, sweet, delicious and satisfying. The best coffee cake ever!

stacey said...

I'm really glad you like it, Sara. :)