Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Monday 11 October 2010

Punkin' Pie -- Pumpkin Pie!



PUMPKIN PIE -- WITH A TWIST

The twist would be that it's not pumpkin. And it's vegan. And healthy. And won't spike your blood sugar. And rich, decadent, and delicious.

A month ago, at Highberry Farm up in Port Elgin, we were buying gourds and pumpkins with which to decorate our home in the t-dot. My husband noticed a sign for Pie Pumpkins, but misread it as Pumpkin Pies. Pie pumpkins they had, but no pies. The farmer that grew the pumpkins told me that he liked butternut squash for making pie, and the result was pretty much identical to pumpkin pie. On the strength of his assertion as well as my love affair with butternut squash, I decided to get a butternut and pie it. So, tonight we feast on pie made from Highberry butternut squash.


crust ingredients:


1 1/2 cups finely milled almond flour
3/8 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 1/2 tbsp filtered water


directions:
1. combine ingredients (I used a food processor, but certainly you can stir it by hand)
2. press 'dough' into a pie plate (lightly grease it ahead of time)
3. prick with a fork all over
4. bake at 345 for 15 minutes


pie ingredients:


2 cups cooked butternut squash (you can use pumpkin or another squash if you would like)
1 can (400 ml) organic coconut milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sea salt
a pinch of black pepper
4 tbsp arrowroot powder


directions:


1. puree all the ingredients together in a food processor, or you can mash and mix by hand if you like.
2. pour into half-baked pie shell
3. bake at 345 for 60 minutes, preferably on a baking stone or tile. I find this helps the crust achieve a desirable texture, and recommend it for all pie baking.


We served it with some leftover coconut milk-date-cinnamon-vanilla ice cream (my son is convinced that pie is merely a vehicle for ice cream), and it was pronounced a hit by pumpkin pie lovers of all ages.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This pie was amazing and I felt great after. Dessert that tastes good but also feels good to your body and your conscience!