Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Friday 15 October 2010

How To Cook a Really Good Chickpea



A CHICKPEA BY ANY OTHER NAME: CHANA, GARBONZO, CECI BEAN, INDIAN PEA, POIS CHICHE ... 

I believe that a lot of people prefer to open a can of chickpeas than to cook them from dry themselves. If you fall into the former camp, I thought I'd share with you just how easy it is to cook them. And to be honest, the taste is quite superior in my experience. And you can control what else goes into them in terms of salt and preservatives, BPA, heavy metals etc.

I live right off Little India in the Big Smoke, so my area is a cornucopia of really good chickpeas (and mangoes), and you can buy a couple of kilograms of the cute little suckers for just a few dollars.

Unfortunately, using chickpeas that you cook yourself requires a little planning and foresight, because they are by no means an instant food.

So, if you use chickpeas by the can because they are ready in 30 seconds or less, my recipe will certainly not convert you. However, if you are intimidated by the idea of cooking them, please read on.

Phase one:

ingredients:

4 cups of dried chickpeas
1 big pot
2 L of water

directions:

1. pick through the chickpeas and get rid of any stones you might find, or any peas that look suspect. 
2. give the peas a rinse
3. put the peas in the pot with the water
4. put them on the stove, and turn it on
5. bring the water to a boil
6. allow the peas to boil for at least 1 minute but no more than 3
7. remove the pot from the heat
8. allow the peas to soak in the water for at least 2 or 3 hours, or over-night

Phase 2:

ingredients:

soaked chickpeas
4 cups of water
1 tbsp sea salt
2 or 3 tbsp coconut oil

directions:

1. pour the water and chickpeas into a colander, and rinse the peas really well.
2. return the peas to the empty pot
3. add 4 cups of water to the pot
4. add the salt and coconut oil to the pot
5. put the pot on the stove and simmer the chickpeas for 1 or 2 hours, or until the water has been absorbed and the desired texture has been achieved

This recipe will make a lot of chickpeas. 
You will have enough chickpeas for your next meal, some to share, and plenty left to throw in the freezer.
You might as well make a lot and freeze them because cooking them takes so darn long ;)

Once you've made your chickpeas or stocked your freezer with them, you'll be ready to make some yummy chickpea and sweet potato samosas that have the power to make friends and influence people.

No comments: