Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Friday 29 October 2010

Basta Pasta -- Simple Baked Pasta



When we were up on Lake Huron this summer, I went to the local store for ingredients to make a quick baked pasta. They had no organic ricotta, nor did they have organic cottage cheese. I found some quark, of which I had never hitherto heard. It turned out to be a lucky accident, as this made the creamiest, most fabulous baked pasta EVER.

(I like this kind of baked pasta over lasagna for a quick weekday meal because it's very simple to throw together)


ingredients:

2 cloves garlic
3 small onions
8 medium tomatoes
'
1 small package mozzarella
1 container quark
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk

2 packages rigatoni or fusilli (whole grain)

sea salt to taste
herbs
black pepper
extra virgin coconut oil


directions:

1.   sauté garlic in plenty of coconut oil (1/4 cup)
2.   add onion and sea salt and cook to translucence
3.   add tomatoes and cook

4.   grate mozzarella, mix with quark and eggs, add milk, sea salt and herbs, black pepper
5.   soak uncooked pasta in cold water for 5 minutes and then drain
6.   mix pasta with hot tomato sauce, then stir in cheese mixture
7.  put into large rectangular (lightly oiled) pan, pressing in with scraper
8. cover top of with milk to ensure all pasta is submerged
9.  bake at 345 for 50 minutes. Allow time for it to set after it comes out of the oven

(optional: grate some parmesan on top before baking)



Last night we made a quick baked pasta dinner just based on what we had lying around:

ingredients:

1 cup cooked cauliflower
1 cup frozen spinach
1 carrot

2 boxes (375 g) of whole grain fusili

2 cups of (frozen) tomato sauce (see pizza post for recipe)
1 500g package of pressed cottage cheese (or 1 container of ricotta, or cottage cheese)
1 cup of milk
1 cup of grated mozarella
1/4 cup grated parmesan
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 cup blanched almond meal
2 eggs

sea salt
black pepper
nutmeg
oregano

1 cup milk
1/4 cup grated parmesan


directions:

1. puree cauliflower, spinach, and carrot
2. mix  pureed vegetables with cheeses, eggs, sauce, and 1st cup of milk
3. add in nutritional yeast and almond meal
4. add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and oregano to taste
5. soak uncooked pasta for 5 minutes in cold water, and then drain
6. mix pasta into cheese mixture, and scoop/pour into an oiled rectangular baking dish
7. sprinkle the second 1/4 cup of grated parmesan on the top, and pour the 2nd 1 cup of milk over the top to make sure all bits of pasta are covered
10. bake at 345 for 50-60 mintues
11. allow to set before serving.


Basically, you can get the picture that I pillaged my freezer and pantry for whatever I had, and threw it in. It turned out high in protein, with a decent amount of vegetables in it. Anyway, judging by how quickly my picky eaters wolfed it down, it tasted great. Don't be afraid to be creative, just don't put too much of something in so that it overwhelms the rest of the ingredients. If you don't have the exact ingredients, you can probably find something that will work instead, just as well, or simply do without.

I thought I'd add a footnote that this particular one turned out wonderfully, and like most baked pastas, was even better the next day. And, you can easily divide it into portions and freeze them individually to be pulled out of the freezer for quick meals whenever you need.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you wont believe this - my wife ate cauliflower for the first time in ... well..at least 10 years! She loved it. Me too! I would add a bit of garlic somewhere next time. Tomorrow's test - what will Sara think?!
m

stacey said...

Awesome!
Ah, yes, the Sara test ;)
Let me know how it goes ...

stacey said...

p.s. I agree with you about the garlic -- ours was in the tomato sauce that I added. The cool thing about a dish like this is you really can add whatever you like. I'm glad to hear you guys liked the recipe.