Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Wednesday 20 October 2010

Samosa Wednesday



My mother-in-law is a lovely woman. I'm very fortunate when it comes to in-laws in general, I must say. However I mention Kathryn specifically because she really really REALLY likes these samosas. Which is great, because I think sometimes my in-laws just think my food is plain old strange. But these samosas are a crowd pleaser. Easy to do up ahead of time and freeze. Delicious quickie dinner when pulled out of the freezer and into the oven. Or great when made fresh and eaten the same day. I've been known to do up double or triple batches to freeze for upcoming parties. They bake up beautifully right from frozen, (along with my version of panzarotto which I will share no doubt at some point) and have never let me down. We've even had our friends Karen and Aidan over for a cooking lesson and dinner to learn how to make them (and of course eat them after, but they didn't need any instruction on that part). These samosas can be made in parts, so it's helpful for when you don't have a large chunk of time all at once. You can mix the dough at one point, then set it aside tightly wrapped. You can make the filling days in advance if you like.


Part 1) dough


ingredients:


1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
2 cups kamut pastry flour (finely ground, whole grain)
1 cup blanched almond flour
1 1/2 tsp sea salt


3/4 cup filtered water + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar


directions:


1. put the flours, salt, and oil in a food processor. pulse a few times to thoroughly combine.
2. turning the machine on, slowly trickle in the water (and vinegar) until the ingredients clump together and form a dough. If it seems too dry, add more water whilst the processor is on, a teaspoonful at a time. You do not want to add too much water, because then the dough will be very hard to work with. Too little water and the dough will be too crumbly.
3. take the dough out of the food processor, wrap it in parchment and put it in a plastic bag, or wrap it in plastic wrap. Set the dough aside to rest. (you can also make it ahead of time and put it in the fridge. However, it will need to come to room temperature before you can use it.




Part 2) filling


ingredients:


1 clove of garlic, finely minced (1-2 tbsp)
1 onion finely chopped (approx 1 cup)
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric


3 - 3 1/2 cups sweet potato, cut into small pieces
2  cups cauliflower, chopped (or kolrabi, nappa cabbage, celery, carrot, etc)
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 tsp sea salt
black pepper


directions:


1. saute the garlic and onion in coconut oil with salt, cumin, and turmeric until cooked through
2. add the sweet potato
3. add the cauliflower
4. add the chickpeas
5. add the salt and black pepper
6. saute until everything is cooked through. Adjust seasoning to your taste as needed


This recipe will make approx 24-36 samosas depending on how big your balls are. When our friends came over for dinner, it fed 4 adults and 2 toddlers with enough left over for lunch the next day.


Part 3) samosas


directions:
1. take the fully rested dough, and divide into 20 g balls using a kitchen scale. Or if you are not as ocd as me, just make ping pong ball size dough balls. Try to make them even. Using the kitchen scale method, I got 35 balls this time. You could make 'em a touch bigger and get 24 balls, but I like this size best. Keep the balls covered by a piece of parchment topped by a damp towel to keep them from drying out. This is very very important!






2. one by one, roll the dough balls into circles, put some filling in the middle, and fold three sizes to make a triangular package. You should probably roll the dough on baking parchment or a mat of your choice. I find this dough easy to work with and somewhat forgiving.
















3. place the samosas on a lined baking sheet. You don't need to leave a lot of space between, but you also don't want them to touch.






4. here, you have to make the decision to bake or to freeze. If you elect to freeze your bounty for later, put the baking sheet fully loaded into the freezer. Once the samosas have frozen solid, put them in airtight freezer bags. They can be baked right from frozen in about 40 minutes at 345.
5. If you choose to bake them now, put your baking sheet in the oven at 345 for about 25 or 30 minutes, until they seem adequately brown for your liking. If you want to bake them in a few hours, cover the samosas on the baking sheet with a piece of parchment topped by a damp towel
6. serve with some kind of seasonal salad (chopped tomato) or side vegetable such as oven roasted broccoli. If you like mango chutneys and dipping sauces, go for it. We don't, so we never use em. The secret is adequately seasoning the samosas so they can really stand on their own without sauce.


These samosas are easy. They are admittedly a wee bit time consuming, but being able to break the procedure into steps and/or make them at ahead of time and freeze makes them convenient. I like things I can do in steps at my leisure.


Let me know how they turn out, and what vegetables you decide to use in them. Really, almost anything will work. We've done spinach and ricotta fillings, lentil fillings, sweet fillings such as dates and pecans (and callebaut chocolate chips), raspberries and chocolate, apple and walnut. But the good ol' sweet potato and chickpea is definitely a standby. Squash might be nice ...




5 comments:

Unknown said...

These samosas are undeniably a crowd-pleaser -- young and old.

Anonymous said...

OMG this recipe looks awesome!!!!!!gonna make it tonight

:)

stacey said...

I'd love to hear how they turn out for you. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

hey it's anonymus again,

first of all I totally understand how everyone humor's you, i get the same thing in my house. Every time I bring groceries home from the health food store...you should see the eye rolling. Every time I make tea, my sis asks me if I'm having my tree bark again :) I hate to tell them that that's what cinnamon is (which they put in everything by the way). Well anyway just to tell you I feel for you and just ignore everyone. Do your thing and you will feel happiest.

OK well now that that's out...about the recipe.
They were delicious, everyone loved them, they asked me why I hadn't fried them like traditional samosas.... fried? really?.. insert obvious explanation as to why frying is bad. But otherwise they enjoyed them. I had a peach chutney to go with them or mango would be even better. The only thing I found was that I needed to make the dough balls bigger than ping pong balls otherwise, the dough was to thin and the filling kinda oozed through the dough. I substituted butternut quash in place of the cauliflower (not a fan of cauliflower) But otherwise delicious.
Thank you so much for the recipe. I'm looking forward to making more of your recipes.
Talia

stacey said...

Talia --

It's funny that people like to mock the unfamiliar, isn't it? Well, I've gotten the last laugh with people, because I serve them food that tastes so good they don't care if it's good for them. And it's funny that most people think of 'healthy' as not tasting good ...

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed the samosas, and that they went over well with everybody. I'm a big fan of butternut squash too, so that sounds great to me as well. Probably the squash makes a wetter filling, which may be why it was oozing through the sides, but it sounds like you made it work beautifully none the less. When I make the filling I cook it open so the liquid evaporates whilst cooking, making it relatively dry, but of course some ingredients just don't lend themselves to that.

Thanks for letting me know how it went! It is absolutely my pleasure to share my recipes :)
Looking forward to seeing you here again!