It will be baby Reya's first birthday, and she needs chocolate layer cake. Here are some baby cakes. But the recipe would make a lovely layer cake. Triple layer, methinks. Please imagine a truffle ganache between the layers, and perhaps a buttercream frosting ...
Yes, I am evil.
The texture is at once delicate, tender, and moist -- everything you'd hope for in a proper chocolate cake. The flavour is deeply, richly chocolate, the sublime flavours of raw cacao and callebaut elevating chocolate to new heights. I'm not a chocolate person, but I think it's fab.
Next time, I will try ground chia instead of whole. But please don't do that without adjusting the quantities, because they don't translate one to one. Just saying.
1/4 cup agave
1/2 cup callebaut chocolate morsels (or any other very high quality bitter sweet chocolate morsel you prefer)
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup organic butter or extra virgin coconut oil
1 cup boiling water
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tbsp ground vanilla bean
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ceylon cinnamon
pinch chili pepper
a little black pepper
1/2 cup raw cacao
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups almond flour
preheat the oven to 345, and prepare your cake pans with plenty of butter and line the bottoms with parchment
1. pour boiling water over room temperature butter/coconut oil and chocolate morsels to melt them
2. when they are melted, add the agave and coconut sugar, followed by the apple cider vinegar
3. add the chia seeds, vanilla, sea salt, cinnamon, chili pepper, and black pepper
4. add the raw cacao
5. add the eggs and mix well
6. add the almond flour, and combine fully
7. add the baking soda
8. pour the batter evenly into your cake pans -- you can do 2 larger layers or 3 smaller layers
9. bake for approx 30-40 minutes, until the cakes feel firm and springy to the touch
10. remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the pan
11. if needed, run a blade between the cake and edge of the pan. the bottom won't stick because you lined it with parchment
12. when the cake is fully cooled, you can frost and fill at will
13 can also be baked as 24 baby cakes.