Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Friday 9 December 2011

Peanut Butter and Honey Muffins -- gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free goodness







Struck with the ambition to make muffins before rushing off to music class, I whipped these together super fast. Like lightening. Maybe I should call 'em lightening muffins. I like things that go together fast. It means very nearly almost instantaneous gratification. Or at the very least, I can squeeze them in easily before we have to head off somewhere. Which, it seems, we are always having to do.

You'll see my peanut butter addiction rearing it's head again. I guess I should be embarrassed. It's a little grade school, don't you think? In case you are sick of peanut butter, gentle reader, I promise to mix in other ingredients to keep interesting as the posts go on. It won't be all peanut butter, all the time. I won't tell you how I enjoy it by the spoonful straight from the container. That would just be embarrassing.

I'm thinking about our annual friends and family breakfast on the 25th of December, and planning out what I will make. Stay tuned for the fun. I promise not too many things with peanut butter. And, I shall endeavour to keep this promise. Sigh.


ingredients:

3/4 cup honey
3/4  cup peanut butter
1 cups hot water

1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tbsp ground vanilla bean
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ceylon cinnamon

4 eggs

3 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda


directions:

preheat the oven to 345

1. combine the honey, peanut butter, and hot water
2. add the chia seeds, vanilla, sea salt, and ceylon cinnamon
3. add the eggs
4. add the almond flour and the baking soda

5. scoop batter into prepared muffin cups
6. think of someone you love and wish desperately that no one is hungry today although you know the starving are legion ...
7. bake at 345 for 25-28 minutes
8. store in an airtight container when fully cooled

p.s. The texture on these is quite out of the world -- delicate and moist with a very tender crumb.

No comments: