Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Monday 26 December 2011

Truffles!!!!



These truffles are lovely.

I adapted this recipe, and although I might have to work a few kinks out, it's pretty darn amazingly delicious. Cream, chocolate, and butter -- how can you go wrong?

I made three versions, all starting with the basic chocolate truffle mixture. For the first, I used just the plain truffle mixture, and rolled the truffle balls in raw cacao. For the second, I mixed peanut butter into the truffle mixture, and rolled the truffles in raw cacao. For the third, I roasted whole hazelnuts to perfection and then wrapped each hazelnut in a coating of truffle, and rolled the truffles in a mixture of coconut sugar and raw cacao. Heavenly. And, coming from someone who is not a big chocolate eater, that's saying something.




ingredients:


1 cup of cream
2 tbsp butter (room temperature)


7 oz callebaut bittersweet chocolate
2 pinches of salt


--------------------------------------


2 tbsp peanut butter




----------------------------------------


approximately 25 whole hazelnuts, oven roasted to golden brown perfection, and skinned


------------------------------------------


raw cacao


coconut sugar




directions:


1. heat the cream until it comes to a simmer (with the salt)
2. pour the hot cream over the chocolate and butter, and allow to sit for 2 minutes until the butter and chocolate are melted
3. slowly and gradually stir the concoction until it is smooth and homogeneous
4. in a separate bowl, put in the 2 tbsp of organic smooth peanut butter with a pinch of salt and add 1/2 cup of the chocolate mixture. Stir until well combined
5. allow the mixtures to cool, and then chill in the fridge until solidified (at least 2 hours)
6. for the chocolate truffles,  scoop out small amounts of the mixture, roll into balls and then roll in raw cacao powder (put the cacao on a plate) 
7. put the truffles in an airtight container and refrigerate
8. for the hazelnut truffles, wrap each hazelnut in a coating of truffle, then roll into a ball. Roll the truffles in a mixture of raw cacao and coconut sugar (1:1 on a plate), then put the truffles in an airtight container and refrigerate
9. for the peanut butter truffles, scoop out small amounts of the mixture and roll into balls. Roll the balls in a mixture of coconut sugar and raw cacao. Put the truffles in an airtight container and refrigerate.
10. You might like to label the containers because they all look similar.




I ended up with 25 of each truffle, approximately, because of the size I made them. You can make them as large or as small as pleases you. I guess mine were smallish ...


Enjoy with good friends and loved ones, and enjoy their enjoyment.









No comments: