Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Saturday 31 December 2011

Our New Year's Feast










Our New Year's Festivities involved going to Riverdale Farm and making mud angels, followed by careening down icy mud covered hills. Much fun. We returned home hungry and boisterous, ready to celebrate in style. Because I prefer just having fun with my friends when they are over, nearly the entire dinner was already prepared, and just had to be heated up. I rolled the sushi just before eating, but the feast was on the table not too long after we walked in.

We were fortunate to spend NYE with great friends. Thanks, great friends. I don't have a picture, but our great friends brought a fabulous dessert wrap using a tapioca wrapper filled with dragon fruit, lychee, pomegranate, etc, and decorated with mango puree, crushed cashews, basil leaves, and whisper thin slices of ripe star fruit. Stunningly gorgeous, my friends, as well as super yummy.

I am truly lucky to have such a wonderful family and friends to see the old year out with.


1. green onion pancakes
2. avocado sushi
3. wakame and carrot salad with sesame seeds
4. soup with coconut milk and lime juice
5. tofu and broccoli saute in lettuce leaf roll ups
6. truffles again!!!

The soup, pancakes ,and tofu can all be made ahead and heated up (I heated the tofu dish and the pancakes in the oven)
The salad can of course be made the day before and served cold or room temperature
The sushi is best made when you need it, and served at room temperature, but if you need to you can make it ahead and cut it just when you want to eat it. Hint -- for littlies, cut the pieces in half! (of course the rice can be made ahead). Serve with tamari and wasabi for those who like it.
The truffles can be made ahead and stored in the fridge or freezer until needed.


Wishing you all health, happiness, discovery, and peace for 2012.

No comments: