Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Monday 26 December 2011

Perfect Baked Vegetables

squash, carrots, and parsnips baking

king and portobello mushrooms baking

my large 'tossing' bowl


ta da


ta rah

with rosemary sprig after being reheated

super deliciousness my friends ....


My Uncle Ted and Aunt Sarah are past masters of baked vegetables. They hold the secret, but fortunately for the rest of the free world, they are willing to share it. The secret, my friends, when concocting a medley of roasted vegetables, is to bake each vegetable separately and then combine them at the end. This allow each type to be cooked to perfection as per their individual requirements, and guarantees no mushy sogginess or other unfortunate baking calamities.

Of course it helps to use farm fresh produce, and I would certainly advise to choose chemical free when it comes to any representatives from the dirty dozen. Even numbers thirteen through twenty, my friends.

Additionally, it's a good idea to choose ingredients that enjoy each others company.

I've decided to go a little crazy for our breakfast on the 25th, and roast up a slightly eclectic conglomerate of lovelies.

On the invite list:

squash, carrot, parsnip, mushrooms, leek, shallot, cabbage, and celery

Sort of a cozy autumny, wintery mix, methinks. With just a hint of spring thrown in there for brightness.


ingredients:

butternut squash -- 1 small, cut into pieces

parsnip -- 1 large, cut into pieces
carrot -- 3 medium, sliced

portobello mushrooms -- 2, chopped (don't cut your pieces too small, because
king mushrooms -- 4, chopped

leek -- 1 leek, chopped (fibrous parts removed, but most of the greens are actually quite tender, so don't be shy. Just make sure you rinse ALL the sand out ...)
shallot -- 1 shallot, chopped

green cabbage -- 1/2 small, chopped
celery heart -- 1, sliced


I shall use hints of chili powder, some fresh rosemary from my window garden, and of course sea salt and black pepper. Of course. I predictably put sea salt and pepper in everything, sweet or savoury.

To 'toss' the ingredients with seasoning and coconut oil, I used a very large earthenware bowl. I could put this in the oven for a few minutes to melt the coconut oil, then put the cut up ingredients in with the seasonings, and combine well. I then spread the ingredients on a baking sheet and put the baking sheet in the oven. A very large oven safe bowl will make things much much easier.

directions:

1. wash and cut butternut squash into pieces, toss with melted coconut oil, chili powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Spread on a lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes

2. wash and cut the carrot and parsnip into pieces, toss with melted coconut oil, chili powder, and salt and pepper, and put on a lined baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes

3. wash and cut the mushrooms into pieces, toss with melted coconut oil, salt and pepper, and chili powder, put into a baking dish (uncovered), and bake for 30 minutes

4. wash and cut the leek and shallot into pieces, toss with melted coconut oil, salt, and pepper, and place in a covered baking dish with a sprig of rosemary and bake for 45 minutes

5. wash and cut the celery and cabbage, cut into pieces, toss with melted coconut oil, sea salt, and pepper, put on a lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes


6. Put all the roasted ingredients into a large covered casserole with a sprig or two of rosemary.

Heat the casserole before serving.

I made this ahead of time, so all I had to do the morning of the 25th was heat this up.


on the day:
After having kept this refrigerated for 2 days, (or rather on the back porch in a cooler to protect it from marauding raccoons because the fridge was already full), I threw it in the oven for 45 minutes at 345.

Super yummy deliciousness!!!!!! I could eat this all day. Seriously.

Giving credit where credit is due, if you are lucky enough to have an Aunt Sarah and Uncle Ted, then maybe they are some of your favourite people too.

Thank you  Ted and Sarah, I love you.

xo

No comments: