Welcome to my crazy world of real food cooking ...

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. -- Michael Pollan

I wish I could take credit for that because I think it sums up how we should eat. Simply -- eat stuff that really is food, instead of stuff that is food like substance. The supermarket is almost entirely food-like-substances, and, my friends, you should probably never ever eat them.

Fortunately, there is a world of deliciousness out there, and it can all be had in a way that not only doesn't harm your health, but in a way that benefits you hugely.

I think it's important to eat stuff that satisfies you, that keeps your blood sugar stable, and that gives you stuff your body really needs to run optimally.

But baby, it's gotta taste good.

I really like getting experimental in the kitchen. I love cooking, I love layering flavours, and I love coming up with really super yummy food. I have very strong opinions about what constitutes food, and there are a lot of things I won't touch in the kitchen. Bottom line? Pretty much everything I make is ridiculously good for you even if it tastes decadent. Although there are occasional big fat cheats ... but even those stick to real food, my friends.

For food that is usual gluten free, usually free of cane sugar, usually super low on the glycemic index, full of protein, fiber, flavour, and excellent energy, join me and Alice down the rabbit hole.

Every recipe on this blog is my own original effort and idea, so please pass 'em on, giving credit where credit is due.

Many thanks, and come back often. I'm really glad you are here!

:)

Tuesday 9 November 2010

Bob's New Sweet Potatoes -- Sweet Potato Oven Fries Again

The purple fleshed 'Okinawa' sweet potato, cut and ready to be oven baked.


The white fleshed 'Murasaki' sweet potato, tossed with coconut oil, sea salt and a little almond flour, and oven baked to perfection.


The Okinawa after oven roasting, ready to be eaten. Yummy.


There's this guy we call The Sweet Potato Man. Other people call him Bob Proracki, of Round Plains Plantation. He's a chemical-free sweet potato farmer, and very nice man. His wife Juli is adorable, too. He's my dealer when it comes to sweet potatoes. He hooks me up. I recently was able to purchase some of his new crop of Japanese-style sweet potatoes. To me, these are sweet potatoes the way they are meant to be. I'm not overly enamoured of the wetter texture of the orange fleshed sweet potatoes we find most readily in these parts, and I was excited to learn that there were drier fleshed sweet potatoes on their way. The Murasaki has a white flesh, and is so sweet that my husband likened it to maple syrup. My son was too busy stuffing his face to comment. I was also intrigued by the vibrantly purple flesh of the Okinawa. It is not quite as sweet (and since I don't have much of a sweet tooth, that's fine with me), and to me tastes wonderful.

Both work really well as oven 'fries', which I think is a quick way to cook them (roasting or baking whole takes a whole lot longer), and still enjoy the characteristics of their unique textures. Plus then they are instantly finger food, which is always a plus when you have a 2 1/2 year old in the house ... Thanks Bob! Thanks Juli!  (http://ontariosweetpotato.com/)


No comments: